Looking for information: Barcelona

Food writer. Broadcaster. Blogger. Author. Married to Eight Degrees Brewing. Member of the Irish Food Writers’ Guild, founder of Irish Food Bloggers Association and co-author of Sláinte: The Complete Guide to Irish Craft Beer & Cider (New Island)

1. Kathy says:

Caroline, you lucky thing! Barcelona is fantastic. My parents went last year and had such a good time they went back a few months later :)There is good tapas everywhere (the Market Bar will never seem the same again) so I am going to recommend two other places – La Fianna and Milk.They are both technically Irish bars but, in reality, they are far removed from the typical Irish bar. The décor in La Fianna could best be described as “Moroccan brothel” and you recline on a bed to eat (food is served on big silver platters). Food is good too.Likewise, great food in Milk which manages to be achingly cool but not at all pretentious. One of top three bars in Barcelona, says Elle magazine. Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips, Kathy. My sister was given some information about an Irish bar with Cork connections – it wouldn’t be either of these, would it? I love the sound of an Irish bar decorated in the Moroccan brothel style! Will definitely try and check them out.

3. Kathy says:

Oh yes, that would be Milk, I’d say. At least one of the owners is from Cork. He’s a pal of the husband’s but his name escapes me and husband is out gallivanting so I can’t check. Still, definitely worth popping in for a drink!

That definitely sounds like the place that the sister was talking about – sounds well worth checking out for a drink, or two. In non-foodie related Barcelona tips, I’ve also been recommended to check out Park Güell – just hope the sister won’t have everything covered by the time I get there!

5. Hi CarolineEl Gran Cafe is just off the Ramblas and is a great, olde world style place where you can dress for dinner. Their black rice is worth trying. The best brunch in town is at the Hotel Arts on Sundays, it’s also a special spot and lots of Barcelona families treat themselves to its sumptuous buffet. Enjoy.Val

6. Mairead says:

Tapa Tapa at Passeig de Gràcia, 44, is a nice place. It’s reasonably priced with modern decor, and the table mat doubles as the menu.But your best bet is to wander down to Barceloneta which is off the Ramblas down near the waterfront. Drop into any (or all) of the little tapas bard down there and just take what’s given to you – they all have their specialities and it’s mostly seafood as this is the old fishermen’s village. A great way to spend an evening. Enjoy!

Thanks ladies! This is great – it sounds like Barcelona is definitely the place to go to get some good food. The word document where I’m keeping all your recommendations is growing by the day…