A range for the cottage

1. Daily Spud says:

Ahh. We had a range in the house I grew up in and I also remember having toast, range-style (yes, and porridge too). Alas, there’s no room in my little house for a range, but someday, maybe…

When my dad rang me and asked if I’d be interested in a range I took one look around the cottage (it doesn’t take long) and thought “there’s nowhere to put it!” But, with the Husband working away on plans for the extension, my new kitchen – all presuming that the planning permission works out – will be totally organised around the range. I’ve found a place that reconditions and re-enamels them too. Latest idea, after reading a book about chefs’ kitchens in the US, is for a canary-yellow range…not too sure how far I’m going to get with that one!

3. Ethel says:

I remember my Gandfather baking onions in the red ash from a stick fire in the firebox of an old black range. He would peel off a couple of layers blackened in the heat and I would eat the warm succelent onions. I can still smell them 50 years later.

I love baked onions but I’ve never had them cooked that way – it sounds like a feast worth remembering!

5. Maria says:

Bet you can’t wait to install the range!! I remember the toast at the end of those long toasting forks. I also remember cooking a lot of omelets with you on the aga… with everyone sitting at the table waiting patiently!!! I was probably the only one who wouldn’t eat them…eggs…still don’t like them! Best of luck with the extension!

Those omelettes – how did we ever manage to lift that huge cast iron frying pan?! I remember they had to be started cooking on top of the range then finished off in the oven, for some reason. And all made from Nana’s eggs. Can’t believe that you still don’t eat eggs. I’m eating potatoes since that year in NZ, having spent my first thirty years avoiding them – and just about everything else that could be considered good food!