Listen – Foodtalk: Spices with Arun Kapil and Carmel Somers

On Newstalk 106-108fm tonight at 9.30pm the third of my radio shows on food – Foodtalk: Spices – will be broadcast. This was one of the real wild cards of the series. Most of the other categories were easy to figure out: Livestock was a given, as was Dairy and Seafood. Being interested in foraging and gardening since childhood, and doing plenty of that at the cottage, Wild and Garden were also easy areas to work in, but Spices was an area that just came out of the blue.

Then I focused in on Carmel Somers of The Good Things Café in Durrus and Arun Kapil of Green Saffron and everything just fell into place. Carmel does amazing things with good quality Irish produce like lamb, turnip and cabbage, matching them with imaginative spice combinations, while Arun imports the absolute best of spices direct from India and has woken Irish people up to the possibilities of such really, really fresh flavours. See what you think tonight.

You can listen to the Foodtalk on Newstalk Spices programme here.

1. jordao says:

HelloWe are a blog from the midle o the Atlantic.Sorry for being in portuguese but you still see some photos from Azores

2. Kieran says:

I enjoyed the show. Arun certainly has amazing energy, and it was good to hear from Carmel. Good, spicy program!

I’ve been meaning to make Carmel’s roast turnip with fresh ginger since I did that interview but I still can’t bring myself to buy a turnip! I’m really looking forward to reading her cookbook.

4. Daily Spud says:

Lovely program Caroline – just listened to the podcast. I’m itching to try some cabbage with juniper and garlic, as well as some turnip and ginger, not to mention getting my hands on some of Arun’s spices!

That cabbage/juniper/ginger combination is gorgeous – so easy to make and absolutly delicious! Where are you based in the country? Arun sells through markets in Cork and Limerick. His website is Greensaffron.com and he will send spices to you if you email him.

6. Daily Spud says:

I’m based in Dublin and I see from the green saffron website that there are a couple of places up here that carry their spices (so I think I’ll be hot-footing it to Len’s Lentil Stall at the Temple Bar market this Saturday to see what they have and, otherwise, will drop them an email directly). Thanks Caroline.