St Patrick’s Day: Potato Apple Tart

Food writer. Broadcaster. Blogger. Author. Married to Eight Degrees Brewing. Member of the Irish Food Writers’ Guild, founder of Irish Food Bloggers Association and co-author of Sláinte: The Complete Guide to Irish Craft Beer & Cider (New Island)

1. Catofstripes says:

Excellent looking recipe, I shall definitely try it. Thanks.

2. Lu says:

wow!! Potato in a desert – it look delicious! The parade over at Daily Spud was very impressive – I loved the look of the cabbage and bacon terrine

3. Vicky says:

Yum the potato cake looks fab, its one of those things you don’t think the sweet / savouy mix will work like the idea of beetroot chocolate cake!!

Catofstripes: I’d love to know how you get on!Lu, Vicky: It might sound like a strange combination but it really does work. The tart is best eaten when it’s really hot, though, as it’s not quite as nice at cooler temperatures! And I do love Beetroot Chocolate Cake, although I have to say that I think it’s even better in a cupcake format. Maybe some cooking for the weekend!

5. miriam says:

Hi, just thought you would like to know that potato apple cakes are still to be had in some of our home bakeries here in Northern Ireland. They are exactly what Margaret Bates described, an apple filling for potato bread, cooked on the griddle. Of course, the quality of the apple filling varies tremendously, but it is usually eaten warmed up with melted butter. Its usually made by folding over a round of potato bread about 8 inches, i think, to make a semicircular shape which is then cooked on the griddle.

Wow! That’s great to know, Miriam. Margaret Bates did talk about cooking it on a griddle but, for me, it’s just much easier to land it in the oven. Too many half-cooked griddle cakes in the past. I also like the idea of making the cake in a semicircle, a lot easier to turn over than a whole circle!