A whole new world: Bibliocook upgraded and redone

Bibliocook logoI’m SO excited! After almost six years – Bibliocook’s official birthday is in March – I’ve finally got a spanking new look and a long-awaited move to WordPress, thanks to Súil Design.

When the site originally went live, way back in 2005, it was on Movable Type and, despite the backend of MT driving me mad for the last few years I never really did anything about it. Putting the Irish Food Bloggers Association site up last year on WordPress, again with Súil’s help, was a revelation: WP was easy to use, easy to change and had lots of flexibility. I’ve been having a lot of fun working with – and occasionally breaking but being able to fix – the IFBA site so it only made sense to take Bibliocook onto the same platform.

The decision might have been made easily but looking at 736 posts in 23 categories, hundreds of images and the almost 2,000 comments that have come in over the years, I was, to say the least, a little nervous about something going wrong and everything getting lost. That it was such a painless and, indeed, fun proceedure is all due to my friend The Techie at Súil. Thanks again, Sue!

So, welcome to the shiny and new, all-singing and dancing Bibliocook: All About Food. Take some time to look around – I’ve been playing with the categories to make them more usable, digging out some random articles from the past and highlighting posts from formerly hidden areas of the site. Hope you like it!

1. Fabulosity. Love it! x

2. Caroline Caroline says:

Thanks Imen! I am loving the backend – so easy to change and manoeuvre around.

3. Nice one Caroline – I know how much work must have gone into this!

Feedback for you – a 15 second load time on the home page before the last of the images appears. Thats a bummer ;-(
    Did it twice on 2 different browsers on a 6MB connection.

Keith

• Caroline Caroline says:

Good to know, Keith – will pass that on to my designer. It’s just up so we’re still working on it. Thanks for the compliment!

4. ivan says:

Brilliant, looks great!

5. Sheila Kiely says:

Spring is a great time for a revamp and you’ve seriously dusted the cobwebs here Caroline! Look’s great & welcome to WordPress, Sheila

• Caroline Caroline says:

I tell you, Shelia, there were LOTS of cobwebs round here before today! I was worried about losing the old content along the way so it was a real relief that the changeover went so smoothly. Lovely to look back at the old posts too!

6. TheGlutton says:

Wow your new site looks amazing, well done 🙂

7. Caroline – has been an absolute pleasure working on this project with you, has been great having the opportunity to showcase your wonderful content. The only downside has been the pounds I’ve put on, have felt hungry every time I worked on the design.

Here’s to many more wonderful years of Bibliocook’s tips and treats. Congratulations!

• Caroline Caroline says:

I can only say a big, enormous thank you Sue! You managed to turn the whole thing around so fast and it’s fab to have a whole new site up here, without losing any of the old, old content.

Glad to hear that I made you hungry – wonder how well a cake would stand up to the Irish postal system?

8. Aoife Mc says:

Ooooh lovely! A whole new Bibliocook world! And Happy Blogday in March 🙂

• Caroline Caroline says:

And there’s still plenty of old world here too – you wouldn’t believe how many recipes I came across that had been long forgotten! Happy Blogday, in advance, backatcha.

9. KSD says:

WordPress is a much better platform, congrats on the move!

10. Catherine says:

736 posts? That’s some achievement! Love the new design.

• Caroline Caroline says:

Ah, it could have been so much more if I hadn’t been busy trying to earn a living at the same time! Thanks for the compliment, though.

Been meaning to tell you that I love the name of your site – I’m a total owl and pussycat fan!

• Catherine says:

Ah, thanks a mil!

Look forward to hearing more about “the pig situation”, btw – there’s a litter due on the farm at home this week, fun times ahead!

• Caroline Caroline says:

I’ve been doing considerable looking into the pig situation but I have to admit that we just don’t have enough space for them. Who would have thought that a half-acre garden would come to look so small? Between the hens and turkeys the ground is still pretty worked over so I can just imagine what pigs would do to it! Am going to start working on my parents – they have a farm with space, or so I’d think, for a couple of nice piggy wiggys…

11. Lily says:

Great look on the site Caroline! Congratulations!