Memorable food of 2011: Eight Degrees Beer, Inishfood, Irish flavours

Food writer. Broadcaster. Blogger. Author. Married to Eight Degrees Brewing. Member of the Irish Food Writers’ Guild, founder of Irish Food Bloggers Association and co-author of Sláinte: The Complete Guide to Irish Craft Beer & Cider (New Island)

1. Karen says:

They’ve changed the menu since the Ernville was the maternity for Cork so – my mother still talks about the beautiful brown scone she got with her tea after my baby brother was born (September 1985).

Lovely choices Caroline – aiming to get to Inishfood 2013, all going well Leanbh and I will be just home from hospital to follow #inishfood2012 on Twitter

• Caroline says:

Myself and one of my brothers were also born in the Ernville. Must ask Mum what she got afterwards! I was just happy that our delicious plastic toast came with real butter. None of that spreadable s*it at CUMH.

Hope all goes well for you in May. At least you can keep an eye on what’s happening online. We’ll be tweeting from Inishfood with a vengeance!

2. Kristin says:

I remember someone telling me that the tea and toast they give you after you give birth is the best food in the world, and they were right. That should have been up at no. 1, surely! 2011 was a good year for eating, roll on 2012.

• Caroline says:

Between lunches at L’Ecrivain, Pichet and Bord Bia, affogato at Murphy’s Ice Cream and snacks at the Pepper Pot, a lot of good eating in 2011 was done with you!

3. stasty says:

Lovely round up of 2011 in food. Intrigued by the Highbank Orchard syrup. If the kids love it, it’s a good sign :)Dying to try it.

• Caroline says:

I’d definitely recommend it – and not just for kids! Great over porridge, used to baste pork, as a base for an apple bellini with prosecco. My problem is getting the bottle away from Little Missy.