Sourdough from starter, revisited

1. Daily Spud says:

Probably the most dramatic bread-eating story ever! Will be sure to chew carefully in future and treat sourdough with the respect it deserves 🙂

It was a rather dangerous year all round. Still loving the sourdough though!

3. After reading this, I’ll be treating sour dough bread with a lot more respect! I’m addicted to it, so will definitely try your recipe Caroline. Thanks!

• Caroline says:

I’m sure this isn’t a regular thing for people eating sourdough – I think that 2005 was just a dangerous year for me!

Let me know how you get on with making your own. I’m always here for Twitter support if necessary.

4. Geraldine says:

I’m looking forward to trying this.

I’ve just one question though- when you say cover it (Day 1) are you sealing the kilner jar?

• Caroline says:

I cover it with a teatowel or just leave the lid ajar. Don’t seal the jar or you’ll miss out on picking up those wild yeasts! I’ve changed the recipe to reflect your query – please do let me know if there’s anything else you need answered.

5. Mandy says:

Hi Caroline – I’m feeling inspired to try and make your sourdough bread – thought it would be useful for helping feed the masses at Ngaio (14 adults and 6 children!) Just wondering, how big are the baskets you use? Would plastic bowls do the same thing?

• Caroline says:

To be honest Mandy, it’s a lot of work for something that will get hoovered up in a minute by that gang! While it makes plenty bread for a household of two adults, two smallies, it wouldn’t even fill the corners for your crew. But, if you still want to do it, I’ll definitely give you a hand. The baskets I use are about 24cm (approx 10 inches) and the reason I use them is that the loose weave allows air to circulate. You might be better with a couple of teatowel-lined colanders than the bowls.

• Mandy says:

I thought you might say that! Maybe January just isn’t the right time for me to be getting back to ‘the good life’! Still tempted to try it sometime though. Thanks.

• Caroline says:

We could always do it together when I’m over – I would love to start a new starter. Get plenty of bread flour in and we’ll give it a try and see how many we can feed with our own bread! Now, all I need is a woodfired oven…