Black pudding: the new superfood
Black pudding: how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I loved you when I had to chase you down for breakfast in New Zealand, a country not generally known for ignoring meaty treats. I loved you when you added much needed protein and iron to my diet when I was a) broke and b) pregnant, especially good in a slow cooked sausage and bean hotpot. I loved you when I travelled to Kanturk to celebrate the black pudding with McCarthy’s Butchers and La Confrérie des Chevaliers du Goûte Boudin.
I loved you by candlelight. I loved you – still love you – in Trish Desine’s Boudin Noir aux Deux Pommes (Black Pudding with Apples and Potatoes) from her cookbook Trish’s Farmhouse Kitchen. I love you on camping trips, on pizza, in meatballs (when you run short of minced meat), and – perhaps my favourite – this Inch House Black Pudding and Caramelised Onion Tart.
And now the rest of the world is catching on: black pudding has been declared a superfood. Sure, that’s no surprise at all. In Ireland we’ve known it for generations!
More Black Pudding
- JUNE 2, 2011 Seomra Blog Bia at Totally Tipp: Inch House Black Pudding and Caramelised Onion Tart
- APRIL 13, 2011 Moving time: Sausage and Bean Hotpot
- FEBRUARY 8, 2011 Clonakilty by Candlelight…and other good eating in Dublin
- OCTOBER 9, 2010 Lyric FM: McCarthy’s Black Pudding
- APRIL 6, 2010 Kanturk black pudding
AUGUST 4, 2009 Black Pudding and Foie Gras by Andrew Pern
- APRIL 2, 2008 Trish’s Paris Kitchen
- JUNE 28, 2005 Breakfast at Formerly The Blackball Hilton